Thursday 25 August 2016

Stay focused

It is easy to lose your focus. And then it takes an extra effort to gain it back. 

Before my 240 km race I was entirely focused on the task ahead of me. Weeks before that I stopped eating any bread, sweets or cheese (these are my trigger foods) and I also stopped destroying my body by any bulimic behaviours. It paid off. I not only did finish the race but placed myself on a podium. This was just amazing! Two weeks after that I went for a local 100-miler. I shouldn't have done that. My body was screaming not to but my ambitions were greater. I should have listened to my body but I didn't. As a result I was running the first 20 km, then jogging next 10 km and then dying for further 70 km, until I decided that 100 km is all I could do that day. I don't have any regrets of pulling out of that race. I couldn't even jog anymore (tired, my blisters re-opened, knee started to hurt) so what was the point?! Only then I realised what I have completed just two weeks before and how this affected me. I needed a rest. And so I decided I will not run for the next two weeks and will also go easy on myself  with eating. For two weeks I only went few times for a walk or to the gym and allowed myself to eat some bread and sweets, and twice even cheese. I am not proud of this, but sort of needed that as well. Maybe not physically but mentally - just to have a BREAK from everything. 

Two weeks have passed and I came back to my running and clean eating routine. I have learned that after next ultra I should take some rest from running but not from my good, clean diet. It took me three days to get back on track and I feel my body is still not fully adjusted to eating fruits, vegs and grains only. 

It was quite easy to lose this focus on what I am eating for the 14 days. First it felt a bit weird to eat a sandwich or nutella, but then it got really easy. The point is there was no real need to suspend my clean eating in the first place. I will never do it again. 

So here are some tips on how to get back on a track. Whatever your goal is and whatever setback you are facing: 

1. Have honest conversation with yourself what are your goals and why you want to achieve these. 
2. Make a new plan for yourself starting from TODAY. 
3. Forget the past mistakes and forgive yourself. You won't be able to focus on the future while still looking back. 

I did these things 3 days ago and I am getting my focus back. To make it easier for myself i signed up for the next race that will be in a few weeks time. Not to compete, I know I will do it just to enjoy some trails, but to keep myself on a track. 

Stay focused. Stay strong. 

3 comments: